Given I don't subscribe, myself, to any particular religion I can - sort of - understand the lack of importance in such a globally-celebrated holiday: Christmas; the ultimate Christian celebration. But it begs the question...a puzzlement I've had almost since the hours after his death. Did the strong mandate Michael's mother send that he live an untarnished Jehovah's witness march contribute to his confusion about 'everyday' existence? And, if so, why after abandoning this faith did he continue to be baffled at those things we normal Homo Sapiens take for granted?
Is following ANY religion harmful? That, is the ultimate question. A big one, I admit.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

The problem isn't religion in itself; in my opinion. A problem only seems to arise for anybody if whatever a particular religion dictates is subscribed to too fervently.
ReplyDeleteReligious extremists come in 2 forms: the person who practically exists in a fetal position out of fear of accidently doing something against their religion that will banish them to that religion's version of Hell &, on the other end of the spectrum, are the people who wage holy wars.
I do think Michael was confused as a child, &, possibly, as a young adult. Having 1 parent teach him to be pure, only to see the other parent have multiple affairs, has got to be confusing. That's not even taking into acount the fact that he sang in strip bars as a young child.
I read the Rabbi Boteach's interview with Katherine Jackson & read part of Michael's autobiography, "Moonwalk". Apparently, the religion meant a lot to him & he only left because the Kingdom Hall elders made him feel guilty for his dancing & they would never answer his questions about things he didn't understand in the Bible. He was expected to just believe what he was taught.
I've also done some of my own research on the Jehovah's Witness religion. Secular music & material wealth are looked down on. The "Thriller" video was also harshly criticized by the Jehovah's Wtnesses. We know that Michael had material wealth & sang secular music. The "Thriller" album is still the biggest selling album of all time- over 20 yrs. after it's initial release!
Now, look at what he did with his success. When "Thriller" gave him world-wide fame & attention, he immediately began using them to sing songs, like "Man in the Mirror", to tell people how important it is to love & take care of each other & the planet. He used his wealth to give to charity & buy the children's paradise, Neverland.
Some, maybe even most, people do think of Christmas as "the ultimate Christian celebration". However, I think Elizabeth Taylor had it right when she said it is all about love & Michael was all about love. I think that may be the spirit in which Michael celebrated Christmas for the rest of his life; including with his children. I would guess that's what he taught them, as well. Christmas is the 1 time of year when the highest number of people remember the old adage about it being better to give than to receive. For a brief moment in time the world seems just a little less ugly & hopeless.
As for any confusion he had about 'everyday' existence, I don't think it came from religion. It was simply a product of his 'everyday' life permanently ceasing to exist at such a young age. He led a very different life than most people can even contemplate for the majority of his life.
I think the reason he gave love so unconditionally, & never seemed wary of anybody's potential ulterior motives, was because he was taught to love & trust people. He was showered with love by a huge family.
Even Motown seems like it was a huge extended family that loved Michael & everyone there. Berry Gordy has said on more than 1 occasion since Michael's death that Michael was like a son to him. Smokey Robinson, Motown's co-founder, has called Michael his little brother every time he's been on TV since Michael's death.
With all of this love Michael grew up with, it's hardly any wonder that he only knew how to give love & trust & naturally assumed they would be reciprocated.